Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Guns of Irony

Thought evoking stuff, poetry (or at least it is when you manage to understand it). For instance I, today came across one on a writer’s site I’m a member of and it gave me something to chew over.....

Have you ever wondered about our attitude as a society towards guns?

We live in a civilization that is a by-product of centuries of violence. Our weapons have evolved to a level of very pleasing sophistication indeed and we’ve in fact become so fond of them that today if I had to buy a gift for my 5 yr-old nephew I’d just run along to the nearest toy store, buy this funky looking gun, gift wrap it, smile and say “happy birthday!” (LOL! What. An. Irony.)

He looks at it in wide-eyed wonder, presses the trigger. It’s all metallic hue and flashing lights, his latest toy. And beaming, I pat myself on the back and think myself so clever as I watch the little scamp pointing the gun at random people__ threatening them, irritating them, using it to draw attention, to get his way. Behold World, another child has discovered a gun! He knows what it stands for and how to use it before he’s even learnt to use a pen. What a proud moment!

Years from now he’ll be sitting with his friends discussing the latest addition to the world’s arsenal__ its speed and accuracy, without once sparing a thought for the fact that it’s a Weapon. Meant To Kill. A Living Being.

Sigh... on with the global warming I say. It’s a much better way to die.

5 comments:

  1. id rather die quickly wid 1 gunshot wound than slowly boil 2 death....no?!!

    ya...guns are more fascinating than pens for most ppl...they shud be used more responsibly tho..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately both result in the death of a civilization and not one man.... and also unfortunately we don't get to choose between the two.

    And my issue with guns is not just what meets the eye___ it's our attitude as a society. it's like one of my friends said after reading the post___ "I still like guns though..."
    That's the sad part

    ReplyDelete